By Andrew Schwartz, CPA

Miss Part I of this series: MONEY – Find Some Money?

Save Some Money:

As we wrote in ourNovember 2012 Newsletter,? the retirement limits have increased for 2012.? The maximum amount of money you can? contribute into your 401k or 403b account through salary deferrals is now $17k.?? Anyone 50 or older by 12/31/2012 can contribute an additional $5,500.? Are? you on track to max out your 401k or 403b plan this year??

Perhaps you are not in a financial? position to put away the full $17k this year.? If your employer matches your? salary deferrals, do whatever you can to contribute enough money to max out the? matching contribution.? Otherwise, you are leaving some of your employer’s? money on the? table.

Businesses, including self-employed? individuals, can also put away more money on behalf of their owners and staff in? 2012.? The? max that a business can contribute for an employee, or a self-employed person? can contribute into a SEP IRA or Solo 401k, is higher by $1k for 2012 – up to? $50k.

And as the health insurance? industry continues to evolve, consider contributing money to a Health Savings Accounts (HSA) if? you have a qualifying high-deductible plan.? For 2011, single individuals can? contribute $3,050 and families can contribute up to $6,150.? Anyone 55 or? older can contribute an additional $1,000. You have until 4/15/2012 to fully? fund your HSA for 2011.

How great are HSA’s?

  • Money contributed to an HSA is pre-tax.
  • Money within the HSA grows tax-deferred.
  • Money withdrawn from an HSA to pay for your family’s healthcare costs is tax-free.
  • The money in the HSA is your money, and any money remaining in an HSA once you turn 65 can be used to supplement your retirement income.

Put Away Some? Money for College:

If you have children,? grandchildren, or other people who you plan to help pay for college,? contributing money to a 529 Account on behalf of each person is a great way to? earmark that money.?? While you contribute post-tax dollars into a 529 plan, the money grows tax-free as? long as it’s ultimately used for college.? Please note that many states do? offer a tax break for taxpayers who contribute to 529 plans.

Another advantage of these? accounts is that you can take back all the money sitting in a 529 account at any? time down the road.? Expect to owe taxes plus a 10% penalty on the earnings? portion of any money withdrawn that isn’t used for college, however.

Check in tomorrow for “Money – Part III: Spend Some and Give Some Money”