The IRS issued a warning of a phone call scam from people impersonating the IRS. The scammers demand payment for a non-existent tax, which they call the ?Federal Student Tax?. The scammers try to convince people to wire money immediately or they threaten to report the student to the police.
Remember ? the IRS will never:
- Call to demand immediate payment over the phone, nor will the agency call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill.
- Threaten to immediately bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.
- Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
- Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.